Friday, May 25, 2012

The Ultimate Going Grey...And Yellow: A Room For My Typewriter

...or the crazy things that inspire design decisions. :)

I had the opportunity recently to:
  1. Buy a piece of furniture to help contain the craft chaos that is my supply storage & stash, and
  2. Paint the room where all the above lives (and functions as an infrequently used guest room).
As you may be aware, I've been loving me some grey.  But for myriad reasons (the flooring in the adjoining bath being one, the inability to settle on just one shade of grey being another), grey wall color wasn't an option. 

Okay, really it was that my beautiful, fully restored, cost-me-a-pretty-penny 1950s-era Royal Typewriter is grey, and I didn't want it to get lost in the room. I mean look at this beauty. It deserves to be lovingly adored and instantly admired when you enter its room. (Yes, "its room".)


So, for the walls I went the other way, choosing my favorite grey compliment: Yellow.  Not that I would even imagine telling you that picking a yellow paint color is easy, but while I loved almost every grey I saw, I had immediate reactions to most of the yellows. I didn't want a yellow so bright that my retinas might burn, and I didn't want a yellow so light that it reminded me of the semi-horrid cream color of my dorm room. 

Sorbet it is.

And of course, the color had to look good with my new piece of furniture (Paula Deen has a furniture line!?! How'd I miss that?!?):




I just love the numbering of the interior drawers. Such a charming touch!

So, finally, the paint is dry, and I can begin moving things back in and reorganizing my stash.  Normally, I'd be daunted by such an enormous task. But this time, I'm elated & relieved.

Maybe it's the paint fumes.

I'll post some photos when I get it all done.  Fabric samples have been ordered for window treatments, and I believe I may have found the perfect bedding. So it may be several weeks, but the big reveal is coming.
I know all 3 of you who read my blog are waiting anxiously. ;)
BTW: I absolutely cherish you precious 3!  Maybe I should keep you in those numbered drawers. :)

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Love the gorgeous piece of furniture!! That makes two of us ignorant of Paula Deen's furniture line! Looking forward to the big reveal... I'm ready for a makeover of my craft room, just need three days uninterrupted and I know I could git 'er done!
Have a great weekend!
PS Love the yellow/sorbet

Heather D. ~ Fresh Brewed Designs said...

hehehe!!! I left you a VERY LONG COMMENT then blogger went wonky. Not sure if it took or not. Not sure if this one will either. Will check back in a day or so to see if it stuck. HUGS again...
LOVE YOU LOTS
Heather