Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Veterans Day

Have you hugged a Veteran today? Or at least said "Thank You!" for all they have done for you?
I just gave my Dad this card. I was so happy and so proud of myself for remembering this year. And then God did a funny thing. He knocked me back down to size. I had to fight back tears as my Dad said, "Wow. Thanks. No one's ever given me a Veterans Day card before." While I can't go back and change all the years that I forgot to recognize his service (and really, how hard is it? I was born on a Navy base!), I can make sure that starting this year, my Dad knows just how proud I am of him and how grateful I am for his service to this magnificent country of ours. Red, white & blue cupcakes help, too. :D


Please come back for a visit on Saturday for more on recognizing our Heroes!

TFL and Happy Veterans Day!


Image and sentiment: Amuse
Pattern Papers: Creative Imaginations
White Cardstock: Perfect Panels from My Favorite Things
Metal Buttons: K&Co
Inks: Memento Tuxedo Black and VersaMagic Ocean Depth; Copics

13 comments:

kadie said...

Beeeeeeeeautiful card!! I love those buttons!! Thanks for reminding me to hug my veteran!

Carmen O. said...

Love this card! I so love buttons on cards, layouts, etc. Beautiful work and your story brought tears to my eyes. Yeah I'm highly sensitive :D.

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Catherine your card is gorgeous... a great tribute to the man (your dad!) who has protected our freedom!!! Hugs!!!!!!!!!!

MiamiKel said...

Oh this is just charming - what a lovely card and such a poignant post as well for your dad!! I wish mine were here - today has been horrible, but these things make it so much better, knowing he's so lucky to have you to make him proud and smile! What a blessing of a daughter you are! Hugs!

Judy McMullen said...

Catherine, your Veteran's Day card is outstanding! Your dad must be so proud of you!! Thanks for sharing your story, my dear friend, and for reminding us to recognize the heros who have served our country!

Anonymous said...

Oh what a great card! It's laid out perfectly and is just amazing. Happy Veterans Day to you too Darling!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, amazing card Catherine...It is truly beautiful. I can picture your dads face when you gave it to him. I wish my dad and FIL were here to celebrate as well.. I am so grateful for all the service men and women and all of their families who so graciously defend our country so that we can be free...I am truly indebted to each and every one of them...

ScrapMomOf2 said...

Catherine . . . this blog post made me feel teary! Oh my goodness, huge hugs to your Dad, and I do hope you make him a card every single year from now on! He's my hero too . . . all Veterans are! This card is GORGEOUS! What a great post for today!!

Seoulscrappin' said...

The card is wonderful ... the buttons are totally awesome! Teary-eyed from the post ... married to a veteran myself and have two brothers who are veterans as well. Thanks for remembering!

Mary Giles said...

Catherine this is a gorgeous card. I work with the Military folks everyday and cannot be more thankful for all they do and out on te line so that we can enjoy our freedoms. So glad that your dad enjoyed his card.

Lorie said...

This is beautiful, Catherine! Your generous and loving heart has brought joy to so many, and how special for you to remember our heros in this wonderful way! The buttons, paper, and EVERYTHING about this make it a blessed tribute! Thank you so much for sharing your talent and love! Bless you, my friend!!

Love ya!
Lorie

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a great card!! Love the buttons!

*Susan* said...

Chica! What a fabulous card - the buttons are amazing! Oh Wow, I can only imagine the emotions when you dad saw this and the cupcakes. You rock sweetie! {hug}