Saturday, May 28, 2011

Remembering the Real Meaning of Memorial Day

Well, if you've been by here before, you may be thinking that I'm some kind of Scrooge, campaigning against holidays. It's not my intention to get all Grinchy on our celebrations. I hope anyone who knows me knows that I love God and I love my country. I strive to be both faithful and patriotic. But I am concerned about our American way of life. Our traditional values seem to be slipping away, and it is sad. We are so blessed, but take it for granted. So much so, that our holidays have lost their meaning. When traditions become hollow, behavior becomes shallow.



This Monday I want to observe the true Memorial Day. It's not about auto racing. It's not about shopping and sales. It's not a celebration of summer. It's not just another day off work or school. Memorial Day is a day for remembering those who gave their lives in defense of both our country and its values (or what our values used to be and IMO should be).


Photographer: Vincent Brown (http://vincentbrown.com/blog)


When I was 9 years old, my family took an amazing trip to the Hawaiian Islands. The most significant part of the trip was a tour of Pearl Harbor and visiting the USS Arizona Memorial. 26 years later, it is the best way I can think of to illustrate the true meaning of Memorial Day.





This Memorial Day, I will remember those who have served and died for this country. Yes, I will have a cookout with my family. I'll probably even share a hot dog with Charlie & Cyrus. And I will make red strawberry cupcakes with white buttercream frosting and blue sprinkles, and adorn them with decorative flag toothpicks. But at the height of my merriment, I will take a moment (or several) to remember that I wouldn't be enjoying any of it without the sacrifice of the brave men and women who answered the call to duty.


God bless all who have served and sacrified. God Bless the United States of America.

4 comments:

Tami B. said...

Wonderful post. Thank you for reminding us what it's really all about.

Jennifer said...

You are so right, Catherine. Thanks for the post.

Heather D. ~ Fresh Brewed Designs said...

So very true my friend. I have been thinking about this alot too. I had gotten an email recently with a cartoon style comic strips explaining how we often are worried about what to cook, where to go. How hot dogs and cookouts and all of that overshadow why we celebrate this day.

I am so thankful for those that fought and died for our country. Those that still fight today. It is overwhelming to think of all of the people who put their lives on the line for us ... Words cant express how I feel toward them. Thank you for this sweet reminder and this post.

I love you dear Catherine.

Heather

~Paola~ said...

A very poignant and heartfelt post my dear friend...I cuould 'feel' your passion and gratefulness through your words.
I visited Pearl Harbour as well, many yrs ago,and everytime I think of that huge metal tomb I saw,in the shape of U.S.S Arizona, it still gives me the chills...
but the gardens leading there were absolutly beautiful...
Enjoy the day w/ your family and the furry pals...*love ya*