Friday, November 11, 2011

Thank You, Veterans!

Hi all!

Well, still working on my promised fall card & snapshot of my Autumn cross-stitch project... :/ But one thing I have tried to be diligent about in the last few years is expressing my gratitude for the service of the veterans in my life. My Dad served 8 years in the Navy, and my coworker and his wife both served in the Air Force. I'll be back later with what I did for my dad..ya know, once I finish it :( But here's the other card I made. ETA: Please scroll on down to see what I whipped up for my dear dad. (And yes, he got it on the day...just in the PM hours. I know, I know...)


I fell back on my stash for the pattern papers by Creative Imaginations, and excitedly cracked into this striped grosgrain that I snagged on clearance from SU! 10 yards for $1.99. Say what?!? LOVE IT! (I picked up a few other non-clearance colors, too, and I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of it soon.) Anywho, I was going for a CAS look and this fit the bill. (I'm doing mostly CAS lately due to time/energy constraints, and really enjoying it.) The chipboard star is a years-old clearance find. It started out glossy white with irridescent glitter, and I just went over the whole thing with a gold paint marker. I like how the glitter underneath gives it a little antique-ish texture.


I'm not usually one to jazz up the inside of my cards, but I ran into a little bit of a "Doh!" moment and had to improvise. In my haste, I stamped the sentiment directly onto the base, only to realize that I had the card upside down! So, what's a girl to do but layer over. And then I just added a plain sheet of white CS to the other side for writing a note and to balance the weight, both visually and physically. The sentiment is from an old Hero Mail set by Amuse, and I punched it out with my old school SU! punch that I always think looks like a dog tag (the people kind, not the canine kind).


I hope you'll remember to say "Thanks!" to the veterans in your life, and let them know their service & sacrifice is not forgotten. Happy Veterans Day!


ETA: Here's what I made Dad. My dad has always been supportive of my creativity, but I thought maybe instead of a card, which -let's face it- isn't the most practical/useful thing, I'd make him something he'll use & see every day (or at least for a while). He's always been an avid reader, and is known to stay up into the wee hours to finish a book. And so, I made him a Veterans Day bookmark, with my sentiments on the back.


I just love this little charm (and bought multiples of it). To me it says it all: I love my Dad and I love our country. And I thank God for both.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Fantastic card Catherine! That is so funny about your sentiment! I do that ALL the time! Or my stamp is just plain crooked and I have to cover it up, ughhh! But then everyone thinks you are just extra creative and do the inside on purpose! Hahaha, hope no one ever takes my cards apart! There are always "oops" under layers and on the opposite sides of papers! I take hand made to a whole new level!
Hope you are doing well and have a great weekend!
Hugs and smiles,
Stacy