Sunday, September 13, 2009

Homerun Birthday!


My family is wrapping up a wonderful weekend of laughter and fun as we celebrate my dad's birthday! It started with a very fancy and delicious dinner at a favorite restaurant of ours with the best seafood ever! Yesterday, we enjoyed a rare victory by our beloved but embattled Cleveland Indians and lots of yummy ballpark food and fun. Afterward, it was time to blow out the candles and open cards & prezzies. And that's what I'd like to share with you today - my card for Dad.

I just love this simple baseball player stamp from Amuse. I tried a new-to-me technique with the Copics and love how it turned out! I used circle nesties to highlight the image to prevent it getting lost against the strong pattern paper and to keep with the baseball theme, and added a banner using part of an old SU sentiment. I sponged the edges with Night of Navy ink and think the glue dots and some gently rolling of the paper gives the impression of a banner flitting in the wind. Coordinating brown ribbon and my last 2 antique gold brads (pout & add to shopping list) provide an anchor and tie the banner to the image. Inside, I wished my dad a "birthday that's a real homerun" and just had to add a little baseball embellie that I tried to place so it looked like it was on it's way over the outfield fence. :)


I feel so blessed to have shared such a special life and a special weekend with my dad. I strive to cherish every moment with him and the rest of my family, and I wish you the same opportunity to truly savor every moment with those you love.

Have a joyous Sunday!

TFL & Hugs,

12 comments:

kadie said...

Awww, happy birthday to your Dad!! This card is so fun! I love that you included the baseball off on the side and the sentiment on a banner, it really gives this card fun dimension. I'm sure your Dad was thrilled to receive it and all the other wonderful ways you and the fam celebrated him this weekend.

Lorie said...

Catherine, this is a fabulous card! My dad, and oldest son would LOVE this. I can hear it now. "Why don't YOU ever make cards like that??!!" This one is a sure fire home run. The DP is wonderful, and the image, your nestie choices, the pennant/banner, and the baseball brad just bring it together in all the best ways! Happy Birthday to your dad, and Happy Birthday celebration to you all! It sounds like lots of fun, and I know your dad cherished the time with all of you, too! Thanks for sharing your card, and your birthday festivities!

Love You!
Lorie

*Susan* said...

Hey chica, what a fitting card for your dad's b-day! The DP and colors are fabulous, and I love how you created the flitting banner. Your image coloring looks great!(Care to share the new Copic technique?) I'm so glad you and your dad and the family had a great weekend celebrating his birthday! {{hugs}}

ScrapMomOf2 said...

Wonderful card! I love everything about it!! Sounds like you had a great time with your family and especially your dad!!

karen said...

Awesome card Catherine!
I love the banner on the front!

Happy Day!

MiamiKel said...

Aw, Catherine - what a terrific card in every way! I have never seen this image but it's perfect and your matching dsp is just spot on! I know this has been a wonderful celebratory weekend for you all and here's to many more together :::: cheers, diet coke! ::: (hope his prezzies arrive soon for you!) Hugs!

kathleenh said...

Fabulous card for Dad!

Anonymous said...

What a super card! I love the paper - it's so guy! I'm thrilled that you had a great weekend too - nothing can replace those special times!

Anonymous said...

Hello, my dearest!!! I am so very happy to hear that you had a wonderful weekend with your family, and your father had a super birthday...and here's to many, many, many more:o) You are so right about cherishing these special moments with the one we love. There is nothing better than enjoying simple pleasures with family and friends:o)

You definitely hit a homerun with this fantastic card!!! I know your father loved it...especially since sweet, wonderful you created it:o)

Love ya!!!
Carolyn

Janis Lewis said...

Cool card. I sort of thought it looked like a flag. I like it.

Thank you for your comments on my Mama post. She will love the card.

And thank you so much for asking about our son, James. (If I accidentally type Jimmy, please don't call him that. :) )

He loves Skittles. He will have his laptop, so I told him I'd send him some of our DVDs from here (less to pack). :)

He also likes beef jerky because it won't go bad there in the heat.

And I'm sure he can always use envelopes, notebook paper, and stamps. Not that you have to buy any of this, I'm just brainstorming here.

He has no allergies.

They have a box at the post office now that you can fill with whatever you want and it still will only cost $11 if it's being sent to the military overseas. I think that is such a good idea. I hope to fill one up for him before we go next week, but I may not get that done until after we arrive in Alaska.

Thank you again. Hugs, Janis

Janis Lewis said...

Catherine, Here is my email
northrose@slowar.com
Please feel free to email me anytime! Thank you so much for thinking of James. He'll love whatever you send him. Mama got moved yesterday into the rehabilitation center. Hopefully she'll only be there a few weeks. She is doing so much better. She doesn't even remember those days of moaning... .... I told her to be thankful she couldn't remember. Your comments really mean a lot to me. Thank you very much for your encouragement!!

Janis Lewis said...

Thank you so much for remembering me and my family with all the love you keep sending out! Mama said she got another card from you! She is saving them to put in her scrapbook once she gets back home again. You are so generous! I know James will love whatever you sent. It means so much to me to have friends like you who really care about my family. God bless you! Have a GREAT day!!